The vital facts and figures on Muji’s second US flagship.
They’re taking it slow in the US, which may not be such a bad idea. (173 words)
BOSTON — The mavens of minimalism, Muji, just cut the ribbon on their second largest US location (and second US flagship) last week. Much has been written, but no publication has done a better job reporting on the finer details than Glossy.
- The size: 10,000 square feet
- The city: Boston
- The total number of Muji stores in the US: Only 13 out of 300 global stores (they’re taking it very slow here).
- Smart play No. 1: Rather than rushing things, they’re taking the time to “tailor each individual store to its respective community” in the US.
- Smart play No. 2: A few weeks prior to opening the permanent flagship, they ran a pop up store close to the flagship to build up demand and awareness.
- How one smart shopper in Boston described Muji: “Uniqlo meets an IKEA.”
Key passage: “Muji is creating a differentiated take on retail that is appealing with consumers in North America. In the apparel category, Muji stresses consistency. ‘We are not like other fast fashion companies that have different styles and fashion trends every year. Our signature is that, every year, you can find the exact same thing,’ [Muji USA’s PR chief Ichigo] Sugiura said.”